Odisha State Co-op Union
The Odisha State Coop. Union Ltd. was established in the year 1948 as a State Level Apex Co-operative Society under the Odisha Co-operative Societies Act, 1962. The Union has already completed 62 years of its existence and had celebrated its golden jubilee in November 1998. The objective of the Union as set forth in its bye-laws is to promote the co-operative movement in the State. The Union is also entrusted with imparting of co-operative training and education to the employees, the office bearers, members and potential members of Co-operative Societies of the State. The Odisha State Co-operative Union is responsible for dissemination, information, education and training which is the fifth cardinal cooperative principle out of seven cooperative principles enunciated by the International Cooperative Alliance which is a world body of the cooperative organizations of all countries.
For facilitating discharge of this enormous responsibility which has been recognized statutorily with a provision in the Coop. Societies Act of the State, it has been made obligatory on the part of each and every cooperative society of the State to pay 4% of its net profits each year to the Cooperative Education Fund constituted for the purpose. For constitution and administration of this Fund, a provision has already been made in the Odisha Co-operative Societies Rules framed under the Odisha Co-operative Societies Act, 1962. However after implementation of the revival package for STCCS (PACS, DCCBs & OSCB), payment of Cooperative Education fees has been made optional as per amendment of relevant provisions of OCS Act & Rule.Mission : To Promote a Strong and Vibrant Cooperative Movement in the State for Eco-friendly and equitable, Socio-Economic development of Rural People.
Aims & Objectives :
- Catalytic propagation of Cooperative mission through cooperative journals, magazines, booklets, folders, pamphlets, posters and charts.
- Bringing out cooperative news through fortnightly publication of “THE SAMABAYA SAMACHAR” and Quarterly Journal “THE KALYANI”
- Initiates of publication of profile and Brochure on Cooperative Movement of Odisha, Circulars issued by Registrar Coop. Societies, Odisha, Bye-laws of all type of societies and Articles of Association to form Self-help Cooperatives.
- Provide education to members, Committee members and potential members of the cooperatives on the values, ethics and Principles of Cooperatives and to enforce their application.
- Evolving training policy for the cooperative societies to achieve profitability & serviceability.
- Depicts as Cooperative Information bureau for the research fellows.
- Organize Seminars, workshops in specific sector of the cooperatives and influences Government for policy making.
- Appeal to the people to associate in the main streams of the development process through awareness programme.
- Provide consultancy service to the rural needy people for organizing cooperative societies and self-help cooperatives.
- Strengthening of relationship with media through organization of Seminars / workshops on Media and Cooperatives in the State and District level.