SPORTS & YOUTH SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Sports & Games are no more considered a pastime or recreation. They have become a way of life. Fierce professionalism has replaced the ideals of amateurism. The old concept of “Participation, not winning is the most important thing in Sports” has become obsolete. Winning at any cost is the rule of the day. Enormous resources are mobilized by the developed Countries for producing elite athletes which is now associated as a symbol of pride for a Nation.
In the backdrop of this Global scenario, Directorate of Sports & Youth Services stands committed in its relentless pursuit of excellence in Sports & Games as well as promotion of Youth activities. Various welfare schemes, projects and programmes are taken up by the Directorate of Sports & Youth Services e:g creation of infrastructure, conduct of competitions, impart training to the talented young boys and girls, financial assistance to sports organizations, award of scholarship, incentives & pension to promising and veteran sports persons and various other programmes. All these information are put into a “Website” for the benefit of general sports loving people and aspiring sports persons of the State.
Department of Sports & Youth Services
Directorate of Sports & Youth Services
The aims and objectives of the Sports & YS Department
(i) To develop suitable sports infrastructure at different levels.
(ii) To provide facilities for intensive coaching to sports persons of different age-groups.
(iii) To organise competitions and provide incentives to different sports persons/sports students at different levels.
(iv) To provide assistance to sports organisation, at the state and District Levels to ensure overall improvement of sports and games.
(v) To popularise sports consciousness in the state.
(i) To encourage young persons and support their participation and involvement in the process and of National Development.
(ii) To seek ways and means for the youth training of self employment.
(iii) To provide opportunity to the youth for economic social development.
(iv) To provide opportunity for taking part in Adventure Programme.
(v) To provide such other programmes for building character of the youth.
1. Directorate of Sports & Youth Services
Director, Sports & Youth Services is being assisted by 3 Asst. Directors, one Accounts Officer, 13 District Sports Officers, 53 Coaches, 2 Programme Coordinators and the Ministerial Officers.
Organisational set up;
(i) Director, Sports & YS - 1
(ii) Dy. Director, Sports & YS ( Kept in abeyance)
(iii) Asst. Director - 3
a. Asst. Director, Sports
b. Asst. Director, Planning
c. Asst. Director, Youth Services
(iv) Accounts Officer - 1
(v) Audit Superintendent - 1
(vi) Personal Assistant to Director - 1
(vii) Section Officers - 3
(viii) Auditors - 4
(ix) Sr.Asst.s/Jr. Asst.s - 16
(x) Stenographers - 5
(xi) Drivers - 7
(xii) Class-IV - 5
(xiii) Casual employees - 115 (Groundsman, Cook, Cook
Helper, Sports Attendant etc.)
(xiv) District Sports Officer - 13 (Vacancy – 4) = 17
(xv) Coaches - 53 (Vacancy – 2) = 55
(xvi) Jr.Programme Coordinator- - 2
Nos. of Sports Hostels in the State - 14 (Strength – 620)
Nos of Centres of Excellence - 3 (Strength - 55)
(Hockey, Athletics & Wt. Lifting)
2. Orissa Council of Sports
A grantee autonomous organisation headed by the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Orissa as Chairman, Hon’ble Minister, Sports & YS as Vice-Chairman and Director, Sports as ex-officio Secretary.
The Council has recently been re-constituted vide Government in Sports & Y.S Department Resolution No: VSYS-20/04 – 1766/SYS dtd. 11-08-2004 with 50 members having a term of office for 2 years.
The Asst. Director, Youth Services of the Directorate is functioning as Special Officer of Orissa Council of Sports.
The Council has engaged 32 trained Coaches who are imparting Coaching in various disciplines in different Sports Hostels and District Coaching Centres.
a. Clerk-cum-Actt.- 1
b. Store Keeper - 1
c. Typist - 1
d. Jr. Coaches - 32
e. Driver - 1
f. Class-IV - 3
3. State Youth Welfare Board
The Hon’ble Chief Minister, Orissa is the Chairman of the Board, Hon’ble Minister, Sports is the Working Chairman and the Principal Secretary/Commissioner-cum-Secretary is the Vice-Chairman, Director, Sports & Youth Services is the ex-officio Secretary and Jt.. Secretary to Government is the Jt. Secretary of the Board. Asst. Director, Planning & Accounts Officer of the Directorate are engaged as the Asst. Secretary & Financial Advisor (Accounts Officer) of the Board respectively.
The Board has 32 nos. of members and is presently functioning in the first floor Administrative Building of Directorate of Sports & Youth Services, Nayapalli, Bhubaneswar. The Board has a piece of land of its own at Unit-III, Bhubaneswar just behind to Ram Mandir where Biju Patnaik Yuva Kalyan Bhawan has been constructed.
The staffing pattern of the Board is as follows;
a. Sr. Asst. - 1
b. Jr.Clerk-cum-Typist - 1
c. Programme Assistant - 1
d. Class-IV - 3
Sports Infrastructures in the State
State Level Infrastructure
A. Kalinga Stadium Sports Complex, Bhubaneswar
B. J. N. Indoor Stadium, Cuttack
C. Berhampur Stadium, Berhampur
Utility Stadia at District Headquarters
There are 22 nos. of Utility Stadia in the District Headquarters.
1. Angul Stadium
2. Balasore Stadium
3. Bargarh Stadium
4. Bhadrak Stadium
5. Gandhi Stadium, Bolangir
6. Indira Gandhi Stadium, Deogarh
7. Chatrapur Stadium, Ganjam
8. Parlakhemundi Stadium
9. Jajpur Road Stadium
10. Jagatsinghpur Stadium
11. Lal Bahadur Stadium, Bhawanipatna
12. Keonjhar Stadium
13. Kendrapara Stadium
14. Khurda Stadium
15. Koraput Stadium
16. Baripada Stadium
17. Malkanagiri Stadium
18. Puri Stadium
19. VSS Stadium, Sambalpur
20. Sonepur Stadium
21. Sundergarh Stadium
22. Satyabrata Stadium, Cuttack
1. Pallahara Stadium
2. Talcher Stadium
3. Padmapur Stadium
4. Athgarh Stadium
5. Anandapur Stadium
6. Jeypore Stadium
1. Unit-I, Bhubaneswar
2. Saheed Nagar, Bhubaneswar
471 nos. of High Schools & other Educational institutions covering 274 blocks have been provided with financial assistance for development of play-fields.
Students belonging to the age group of 10-14 yrs are being admitted into sports hostels in the State situated at different places.
There are 14 sports hostels as detailed below;
Centre of Excellence
There are 3 Centres of Excellence in the State
1. Centre of Excellence (Sports Hostel, Panposh) Hockey 36
2. Centre of Excellence (Sports Hostel, Berhampur) Wt.Lifting 03
3. Centre of Excellence (Sports Hostel, Bhubaneswar) Athletics & Wt.Lifting 16
Sports persons having excellent performance in the age group of 15-20 yrs are inducted to the Centre of Excellence for intensive coaching. They are provided with monthly stipend of Rs. 1200/- towards fooding expenses & other facilities as available to the inmates of Sports Hostels.
The normal activities of the Sports & YS Department concerning sports are as follows;
01. Organisation of Rural Sports Competition at District & State level and deputation of the State team to the National competitions.
02. Organisation of Women Sports Festival at District & State level and deputation of the State team to the National Festival.
03. Hosting of National Rural Sports & Women Sports in the State in collaboration with Sports Authority of India.
04. Conduct of Talent Scouting programme : The aims of the Talent Scouting is to spot talents for induction into the Sports Hostels in the State.
05. Organisation of Summer Coaching Camps : Summer Coaching camps are usually organised for a period of 15 days during summer vacation at different places of the State to create awareness.
06. Coaching For Excellence : The idea behind this camp is to invite Coaches of International repute and trained the probables for International participation. During 2002-03, Padmashree V. Bhaskaran imparted coaching in Hockey to the best talented Hockey players of the State at Sports Hostel, Panposh for a period of one month.
Promotional Activities of the Sports & Youth Services Department
01. Financial assistance to State & District level Sports Association
Financial assistance are given to State & District level Sports Association every year for their annual sporting activities like conduct of District level selection trial, preparatory coaching and deputation of State team to the respective Nationals. The quantum of assistance is usually determined as per the recommendation of the Grants Sub-Committee constituted by Orissa Council of Sports.
02. Sports Pension to Indigent Sports persons
sports persons are getting pension @ Rs. 1,000/- per month.
03. Sports Scholarship
90 School students and 90 College students are awarded Sports Scholarship
@ Rs. 2000/- & Rs. 3000/- per annum respectively for excellence in sports & games.
04. Financial assistance to Small Sports Associations
Financial assistance to Small Sports clubs are given ranging from Rs. 3,000/- to Rs. 10,000/- for promotion of Sporting activities in the rural as well as urban areas of the State.
05. Financial assistance to Sports persons for participation in International events/Competitions.
Applications are received from individual sports persons seeking financial assistance for their participation in International Competitions & these are considered at Government level for grant of assistance.
06. Allotment of land to Outstanding Sports persons of the State
A Policy decision has been taken to allot a patch of land to outstanding sports persons of the State for their creditable performance in the field of Sports & Games at International level.
07. Conferment of Sports Award
The State’s highest sports award entitled as Biju Patnaik Sports Award are given every year on 5th of March in following categories (1) Life Time Achievement – Rs. 1,50,000/-, (2) Outstanding Sports person of the Year – Rs. 1,00,000/-, (3) Outstanding Coach – Rs. 50,000/-and (4) Outstanding Sports Journalist Award – Rs. 30,000/-. The recipients are selected by an Independent Jury & awards are conferred in a State Level Function. Each Award carries a statuette, a scroll of honour and blazer with a tie.
08. Incentives to Sports persons: Cash Incentives are awarded annually to the sports persons considering their level of performance/achievements at National and International level. A committee headed by Secretary of Sports & YS Department select & recommend the quantum of Cash Award to be given to the Outstanding sports persons of the State.
09. Felicitation : Elder Sports persons of the State are felicitated at Specially arranged function with shawl and citation in recognition to their contribution in the field of Sports & Games during previous years.
10. Inter-Sports Hostel competition : Inter- Sports Hostel competitions are organised among the hostel inmates in order to assess their performance.
11. NON-RESIDENTIAL SUMMER COACHING CAMP
With a view to provide Coaching to the talents in rural areas as well as urban areas of the State in the popular disciplines of the localities concerned, the scheme of Non-Residential Summer Coaching Camp has been introduced by the Sports & Youth Services Department. Normally these camps are held during Summer vacation during the month of May-June every year. Coaches of the Directorate of Sports & Youth Services, Orissa Council of Sports and Sports Authority of India are deputed for imparting the Coaching in the camps. Concerned D.S.Os in co-ordination with local Sports Clubs, Sports lovers and educational institutions conducts the coaching camps which generally conducted for two weeks. Provision of refreshment and Sports kits are supplied for the purpose.
Youth Welfare Activities undertaken by the Department
01. District & State level Festivals are conducted every year to select the talents for their eventual participation in the National Youth Festival.
02. Youth Day & Youth Weeks are observed/celebrated in all District Headquarters & State Capital Bhubaneswar to commemorate the Birth Day of Swami Vivekananda.
03. State Government depute Adventure team to participate in the National Adventure Festival at Chandigarh every year.
04. Biju Patnaik Bravery Award and State Youth Awards are conferred every year to the deserving persons after selection by different Committees.
05. State Government sponsor different teams to participate in District Festivals.
06. Youth related programmes as well as Adventure Sports are conducted by the Department, funds for which are sanctioned by Govt. of India.
07. Youths of the State are deputed to other States under Inter State Youth Exchange programmes.
Sports Authority of India
Sports Authority of India have opened following Training Centres in Orissa;
01. SAI Training Centre at Cuttack
Disciplines : Athletics & Football
02. SAI Training Centre at Dhenkanal
Disciplines : Athletics & Football, Wrestling and Kabaddi
03. Special Area Games Centre, Jagatpur
Discipline : Water Sports
04. Special Area Games Centre, Sundergarh
Discipline : Hockey, Football , Archery & Athletics
Youth Hostels in the State
4 nos. of Youth Hostels have been established in the State by the Govt. of India. Government of India bears the cost of construction and State Government provides the land free of cost and develop the site and extend Power & Water supply connection. These Youth Hostels are located at Puri, Jashipur, Gopalpur(yet to be made functional) & Chendri (Koraput).
Site for construction of Youth Hostel at Bhubaneswar has been taken over by the Directorate which has been made over to CPWD authorities for taking up construction work.
Collages of Physical Education:
1. Government Colleges of Physical Education:
A. Govt. College of Physical Education, Bhubaneswar.
This College is functioning in Kalinga Stadium having B.P.Ed & M.P.Ed courses with 60 & 12 seats respectively. The college has no land & building of its own for which the NCTE has given conditional recognition.
B. Government College of Physical Education, Kulundi
This college is functioning in temporary shed having no building & required staff. Only B.P.Ed course is imparted having provision for 30 seats only.
2. Private Colleges of Physical Education
Two nos. of Non-Government Physical Education Colleges are functioning in the State in respect of whose, Director, Sports & Youth Services has been declared as the Prescribed Authority. State Government have granted necessary recognition in respect of these two Colleges.
A. Prasannamani College of Physical Education & Yoga - C.P.Ed – 80 seats
B. Baliapal College of Physical Education, Baliapal - B.P.Ed – 60 seats
SPORTS INFRASTRUCTURES SANCTIONED BY GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
Government of India has approved in principle the following Sports Projects in the State
1. Dist. Sports Complex, Puri- 255.97 lakhs
2. Dist. Sports Complex, Kusadungari, 254.57 lakhs
3. Dist. Sports Complex, Sundergarh 246.80 lakhs
4. Dist. Sports Complex, Koraput 254.57 lakhs
5. Gymnasium-cum-Indoor Hall (Category-II) 90.30 lakhs
6. Relaying of Synthetic Hockey Surface 165.00 lakhs
at Sports Hostel, Panposh, Rourkela,
7. Construction of Swimming Pool, 140.68 lakhs
Category-I at Kalinga Stadium,
Out of the above 7 Sports projects the relaying of Synthetic Hockey Surface at Sports Hostel, Rourkela within a cost of 174.65 lakhs and construction of Swimming Pool at Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar within a cost of 300.45 lakhs have since been completed and in operation. Central share of funds for both the above Projects are yet to be received. Steps have also been taken up for construction a Diving Pool and one Practice Pool in the Swimming Pool Complex of Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar by IDCO. Construction of the District Sports Complexes at Puri, Bhawanipatna, Sundergarh and Koraput have been taken up by Works Department. Steps are being taken to expedite the work of Indoor Hall at Parlakhemundi.
During the year 2006-2007 the following amount have been allotted by the Chief Engineer, Building Orissa, Bhubaneswar for different Infrastructural Projects.